Monday, September 5, 2011

observing the observer

Having lunch in the food court of Knox City today I sat down at a bench seat.  The table in front of and slightly to the left of me had a woman sitting at it.  Her back was to me.   She had a black plastic shopping bag by her side and her handbag in her lap.  It was then that I noticed she was frantically writing in a large notebook fattened with age and use.   She would write furiously for a few minutes then look up again at the tables in front of her.  People came and went in quick succession.   An elderly couple, he with a soft serve icecream.   They seemed to be making a decision, it only took a couple of minutes and they left.  The woman in front of me scribbled manically again then looked up as the two young workers in high vis sat down laughing.  She studied them for a couple of minutes and again began writing furiously.  They too left after a couple of minutes and a young dad with a sleeping boy in a stroller sat for a few minutes.
I was so curious as to what she was writing and why.   Was she doing research for a book or a paper or did she just enjoy writing, was this her hobby observing people.  I looked around at the tables near her.   No one else seemed to be aware that she was watching them. 
I wonder if I put my glasses on whether I could see what she was writing.  No  that's wrong I told myself and anyway even with my glasses on I would never be able to read what she was writing.   I wonder if I got up and sat down at that table whether she would write about me and if she did what would she say.  
Older woman with crazy eyes dressed in a work uniform acting v.strangely. 

No comments: