Monday, September 19, 2011

hungry jacks

I left the house at the same time as David this morning and headed for work.   I knew I would be early but the traffic was nearly non existent and I arrived an hour early for work.  To fill in the time I stopped at a hungry jacks around the corner to have a cuppa and a read of the paper.   I pulled up in a 30 minute zone.  Figured I was safe at 7.30 in the morning and walked across to the restaurant.   I wasn't sure if it was actually opened as it looked dark and gloomy but decided to have a look anyway.  I walked through the door and the restaurant felt cold and unwelcoming.   I looked around for a paper and realised that I was the only person there.   I couldn't see any papers so I went to the counter to get my cuppa.   There was one girl behind the register and she had a head set on.  Her black jacket was dirty and looked to be covered with flour.   She looked past me to the door.   When she spoke to me it was in monotone.   I put in my order for a coffee.   Small or large she asked in a tone that indicated she wanted to be anywhere else but where she was.   She took my money and handed me my coffee.  I no longer had thoughts of enjoying a relaxing hour with a cuppa and a newspaper and I fled out into the morning and returned to my car.   I sat in my car with the warm sun streaming thought the glass, the radio on and an old magazine to reread.   That was a zillion times better than having to spend any more time at hungry jacks.

No comments: