Thursday, January 17, 2013

maggie maggie magpie

How did I know it was a hot day today.   I went for a walk at lunchtime and decided in my maybe not so wisdom to go exploring.  I had never walked down by Olinda creek which ran past at the back of the library.   I followed the asphalt path, occasionally walking off the track to look at the creek.   There were a few birds resting in the cool shadows of the trees that lined the creeks bank.   I decided to head back to the library and took one last foray off the beaten track.   I stopped beside a gum tree and there settled in the lower branches were three magpies.   I was close enough to be able to reach out my hand and touch one.   They eyed me and ignored me.   Mmmm they must be feeling the heat not to fly away.   I eyed them back and slowly retreated, leaving them to shelter in the cool branches.

No comments: